There is no consumer product more basic than water. Is it possible to save on it too?
Water expenditure accounts for a significant portion of the family’s total monthly expenses. Beyond saving money, saving water is also an opportunity to protect the environment.
The water bill consists of calculating the private consumption of the number of persons in the household. Every resident is entitled to consume 3.5 cubic meters of water per month at a low rate. Consumption beyond this is charged at a higher rate. Check with the local water corporation that the number of people in the house is up to date.
It is important to know: In recent years, quite a few discounts on the water bill have been given to various populations that find it difficult to meet the increasing water expenses, in order to clarify their rights.
Monitoring and controlling your water bill can save you a lot of money. To theConsumer Council’s guide to reading the water bill.
There are a number of actions that can help reduce household consumption and cut overall expenditure by a considerable amount:
1. Understanding where the water flows
According to the Water Authority , daily water consumption is distributed as follows:
Toilet flushing – 55-60 liters (35%).
Bathing – 55-60 liters (35%).
Drinking, cooking and washing dishes – 30 liters (20%).
Laundry and cleaning – 8 liters (5%).
Gardening – 8 liters (5%).
2. Installation of barriers in the sinks, showers and common faucets in the building.
A sparing device is a device installed on water pipe openings that regulates and reduces water consumption. The deprivation does not impair the power of the current, but only reduces water consumption, saving about a third of the average daily consumption.
3. Economical use of the washing machine and dishwasher
- Choose a suitable plan.
- The machine must be operated at full capacity only.
4. Handling leaks and leaks
A leak of a drop per second wastes tens of liters a month. Places prone to leakage are gardens and toilets (into the toilet itself). To detect and treat liquidity, the following ways must be taken:
- Close all faucets in the house and garden. If there is movement in the water meter of the house, it means that there is a leak. A leak from a faucet can most often be solved by replacing a rubber band.
- Toilet leaks: Place paper in the toilet. If it gets wet, there is a leak. The constant noise of water flow after flushing also indicates a leak. A leak from the flush tank can usually be resolved by replacing the gasket at the bottom of the flush tank. In case of a leak that cannot be repaired on our own, it is recommended to call a professional.
5. Half a flush tank in the toilet when possible
Be sure to use the handle for half a container, usually this is enough. You can reduce the amount in the flush tank by filling the bottle with water, closing it with a cap and placing it in the container. Because of the volume taken up by the bottle, there is less water in the container. In addition, you can reduce the amount of water by partially closing the internal tap inside the tank.
Other ways to save water
- You can leave a tub in the kitchen sink and whenever you wash dishes or even drink water, the water will be kept in the tub and you can use it to water the garden.
- You can collect the running water in a bucket while waiting for the hot water to arrive in the shower. They can be used for hand washing, washing, watering and more.
- When possible, close the faucets during use. Like when brushing your teeth, soaping in the shower or washing dishes. When brushing your teeth, you should turn off the tap between rinsing and rinsing.
- Utilization of air conditioner water: Water coming out of the air conditioner can be used for garden watering, floor washing, and car washing. This water can be used for ironing, but it should be noted that it is distilled water and is therefore forbidden to drink.
- Wash the car with a bucket and rag, not a hose.
- Water the garden at night and early in the morning, when the level of evaporation is low. This will consume less water and streamline irrigation. Prefer planting plants that do not require much watering, use a drip instead of a hose to water potted plants.Check the possibility of placing synthetic grass instead of regular grass that is known to consume large water.
In conclusion: water can and should also be saved. It’s good for you and good for the country.